Lesson Plan: Library Week UC1900 FYE Classes Fall 2016
1. Student Leader talks for 2 minutes on “Why the library has been important to me,” (Ex.s: I use the study rooms; A librarian helped me with my project; Once I found my place in the stacks, I saw many useful books all there together) and introduces today’s procedures and objectives. This sets the stage for why we are doing this.
2. In class, Watch the Video, “The Breakfast Club: Ask a Librarian” and 2 short videos about Articles Plus. (About 5 minutes) Links are on this Course Guide.
3. Divide class into groups of 3-4 students with similar subject interests. Explain the lesson plan. Use the CRAP Test to review what makes a good resource. Show and explain worksheet for Articles Plus. Take procedural questions.
4. Using laptops / tablets / smart phones / classroom computers, each group:
4.a First looks in Google for resources about their interest. Find 3 good sources and open them in separate windows or tabs.
4.b Secondly looks in Articles Plus for resources about the same interest. Find 3 good sources and open them in separate windows or tabs. Use worksheet, p. 1.
4.c Uses the CRAP test to decide which resource among these 6 possibilities is the best one to use and cite for the project for this class. Use CRAP Test.
4.d Prepares to present this one source to the rest of the class. The presentation must be 2 minutes or less (and we’re timing you). The presentation describes why this is a good resource, NOT what is in the resource.
5. Each group gives their presentation.
6. Discussion: Which resource is the best? Vote on the best one, and award prizes. Discussion questions:
7. Take a minute to have students find their Subject Librarian. Talk about how subject librarians can help.